Internet Explorer Zoom lets you make the screen display larger or smaller so that a webpage is easier to read. Unlike changing the font size, zoom enlarges or reduces everything on the page, including text and images. You can zoom from 10% to 1,000%. This article describes how to set the default zoom in Internet Explorer 9 to a custom level.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in WindowsIt's easy to set the zoom level. You can set it temporarily every time that you use it, or you can create a permanent setting.
To temporarily set the zoom levelTo temporarily set the zoom level in Internet Explorer 9, use one of the following methods:
- In Internet Explorer, on the View menu, point to Zoom, and then select a different level.
- If you have a mouse with a wheel, hold down the CTRL key, and then scroll the wheel to zoom in or out.
- If you click the Change Zoom Level button , it cycles through 100%, 125%, and 150%. This gives you a quick enlargement of the webpage.
- By using the keyboard, you can increase or decrease the zoom value in 10% increments. To zoom in, press CTRL+PLUS SIGN (+). To zoom out, press CTRL+MINUS SIGN (-). To restore the zoom to 100%, press CTRL+0.
To permanently set the zoom levelYou can permanently set the default zoom in Internet Explorer 9 to a custom level if you want to. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type regedit in the search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Zoom
- In the details pane, double-click ZoomFactor.
- Click Decimal.
- If you want to set the default zoom level to 125%, type 125000, and then click OK.
- Close Registry Editor.
- Log off of Windows and then log on again.
- Open Internet Explorer. The zoom level should now be set to 125%.