- You install Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7.
- You try to configure a RAID volume.
- The hard disks in the RAID volume are formatted with different sector sizes. For example, one hard disk is formatted by using Advanced Format, and another disk is formatted by using a legacy format.
All disks holding extents for a given volume must have the same sector size, and the sector size must be valid.
NTFS Volume Serial Number: 0xfe6e5dcc6e5d7e79
Number Sectors: 0x000000001d1927ff
Total Clusters: 0x0000000003a324ff
Free Clusters: 0x0000000001f8bae8
Total Reserved: 0x00000000000007f0
Bytes Per Sector: 512
Bytes Per Physical Sector: 4096
Bytes Per Cluster: 4096
Bytes Per File Record Segment: 1024
Clusters Per File Record Segment: 0
Mft Valid Data Length: 0x0000000020980000
Mft Start Lcn: 0x00000000000c0000
Mft2 Start Lcn: 0x0000000000000002
Mft Zone Start: 0x000000000109c060
Mft Zone End: 0x00000000010a8880
RM Identifier: 974AD058-3B3D-11DE-9 300-000FFEE93BEF
- 512: A value of 512 means that the drive is a legacy 512 native drive.
- 4096: A value of 4096 means that the drive is for an Advanced Format drive.
- Not Supported: A value of Not Supported means that the hardware or driver does not support the IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY control code.
|Common Name||Physical Sector Size||Logical Sector Size||Notes||Supported Windows Versions|
|Legacy 512 Native||512 bytes||512 bytes||Not applicable||All Windows versions|
|Advanced Format||4,096 bytes|
Also known as 4K sectors or 4KB sectors
|512 bytes||Advanced Format is a new technology that is being adopted by computer manufacturers to increase format efficiency.||Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)|
Windows Server R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Note Windows 7 and Windows Server R2 are supported when the update that is described in KB article 982018 is installed.
Note The storage driver must report 4 KB physical sectors.
|4KB||4KB||Not applicable||Not supported as of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1|
|Other||Not 4KB or 512 bytes||Not 4KB or 512 bytes||The hardware or driver does not support the IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY control code||Not supported|
Article ID: 2714829 - Last Review: 25 Jul 2012 - Revision: 1