- You have a system running Windows 7 SP1.
- Windows is installed onto an SSD drive.
- The external display is attached via DVI-D.
- A USB keyboard and mouse are attached to the system.
- The system is running with asynchronous boot enabled.
In this scenario, the system may crash on boot with a 0x3b error.
Disable asynchronous boot through the registry by creating the following registry key:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Browse to this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Pnp (if not already there).
- Create a registry key named BootOptions of REG_DWORD type and set its value to 0.
Article ID: 2901005 - Last Review: 22 Feb 2016 - Revision: 1