- You have a computer that is running an x86-based version of Windows 8.1.
- The computer has a legacy BIOS-based system.
- You start the computer after a shutdown operation, or you resume the computer from hibernate mode (system power state S4).
- This issue does not occur if you disable the fast startup feature on the computer. When you disable the feature, the computer starts from the classic shutdown state (system power state S5).
- The fast startup feature is enabled by default in Windows 8.1.
Update informationTo resolve this issue, install update rollup 2903939. For more information about how to obtain this update rollup package, click the following article number to go to the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 2906036 - Last Review: 12 Dec 2013 - Revision: 1