The Windows Server 2012 Essentials Migration Preparation Tool is included in the Windows Server 2012 Essentials installation media. Run this tool on the migration source server to prepare it for migration. This tool performs the following tasks on the source server:
- Raises the domain and forest functional levels
- Updates the Active Directory schema
- Installs an update to extend license support
- Converts the Microsoft Exchange server from mixed mode to native mode
- Scans the source server to identify potential problems
How to obtain this updateTo obtain the update, run the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Migration Preparation Tool.
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must have the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Migration Preparation Tool installed on the migration source server.
Registry informationTo use the update in this package, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
Restart requirementYou do not have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace a previously released update.
Issues that are fixed by this update
Issue 2Consider the following scenario:
- In the DNS Management snap-in (Dnsmgmt.msc), you remove the _msdcs subdomain in the contoso.local DNS zone.
- You remove the _msdcs delegation from the contoso.local DNS zone.
- You run the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Migration Preparation Tool to scan for issues.
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 2908178 - Last Review: 26 May 2014 - Revision: 1