Improvements and fixes
This security update also contains fixes for the following nonsecurity issues:
- When you input invalid data into a cell that has validation criteria set and then focus on an Office Store application in an Excel 2013 workbook, a dialog box is displayed as expected that states that there is a data validation error. However, you cannot interact with the dialog box, and Excel 2013 stops responding.
- Assume that you open an Excel workbook that contains one or more <emma:one-of> elements. When you save the workbook, the <emma:one-of> elements are lost.
- When you use filter search in the PivotTable in Excel 2013, you receive the following error message:Error code 0x80040e05, external Code = 0x00000000
- Assume that you open an Excel workbook that contains many hidden rows or rows that have a customized height in Excel Web App. When you copy and paste the cells to another worksheet, the hidden rows may be revealed, and the row height of those that have customized height may revert to the default row height.
- When you insert a photo taken on a smartphone, tablet, or digital camera into Word, Excel, or PowerPoint 2013, while the photo will appear in the correct orientation in the insert dialog on Windows 8 or 8.1, the photo may appear in the wrong orientation in the document.
Note This fix requires KB2889846 for Office in addition to KB2920753 for Excel, KB2956085 for Word, and KB2920732 for PowerPoint.
- When you double-click an Excel workbook, you receive the following error message:There was a problem sending the command to the program.
- When you try to export a SharePoint document library that has more than 65530 items to Excel 2013, it generates a blank file.
- For individual, small business, and organizational users, use the Windows automatic updating feature to install the fixes from Microsoft Update. To do this, see Get security updates automatically on the Microsoft Safety and Security Center website.
- For IT professionals, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-012 on the Security TechCenter website.
How to obtain help and support for this security updateHelp installing updates: Support for Microsoft Update
Security solutions for IT professionals: TechNet Security support and troubleshooting
Help protect your computer that is running Windows from viruses and malware: Virus Solution and Security Center
Local support according to your country: International support
Download informationThis update is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center.
Known issues with this security update
- After you install this security update, Excel may stop responding (hang) when you copy and paste content between worksheets. To resolve this issue, install the following update on all affected computers.2965275 April 14, 2015, update for Excel 2013
Office 2013 (Click-to-Run installations)
Office 2013 Click-to-Run (C2R) clients should automatically receive updates that include this fix. Verify that you are running version 15.0.4711.1002 or a later version to make sure that the fix will be installed. If you are not running version 15.0.4711.1002 or a later version, you can force an online manual repair of Office 2013 to make sure that you obtain the most recent updates.
Restart informationYou may have to restart the computer after you install this security update.
In some cases, this update does not require a restart. If the required files are being used, this update will require a restart. If this behavior occurs, a message is displayed that advises you to restart the computer.
To help reduce the possibility that a restart will be required, stop all affected services and close all applications that may use the affected files before you install this security update.
Learn about why you may be prompted to restart your computer after you install a security update on a Windows-based computer.
Security update replacement informationThis security update replaces update 2910929.
Removal informationNote We do not recommend that you remove any security update.
To remove this security update, use the Add or Remove Programs item or use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Note When you remove this security update, you may be prompted to insert the disc that contains Microsoft Office. Additionally, you may not have the option to uninstall this security update from the Add or Remove Programs item or the Programs and Features item in Control Panel. There are several possible causes of this issue.
Learn about the ability to uninstall Office updates.
Article ID: 2920753 - Last Review: 29 Mar 2017 - Revision: 4