In addition to the application improvements that are mentioned here, Office for Mac 2011 is now available as a subscription offering. For more information about subscription, see Frequently Asked Questions.
More information about this security update
- Improves synchronization of blocked senders for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and Microsoft Exchange Online accounts in Microsoft Outlook for Mac
This update fixes an issue that causes the blocked sender list not to synchronize with the Exchange server when a message is moved immediately after you use the Block Sender action.
- Improves the ability to recover from certain network errors when you connect by using POP in Outlook for Mac
This update fixes an issue that causes Outlook for Mac to re-download the contents of the inbox for POP accounts for certain connection errors.
- Improves the ability to recover from errors when you try to update the Offline Address Book in Outlook for Mac
This update fixes an issue that causes Outlook for Mac not to download the Offline Address Book when certain errors are detected.
- Improves synchronization of folder hierarchies added by using "Open Other User's Folder" in Outlook for Mac
This update fixes an issue that causes Outlook for Mac to synchronize the folder hierarchies that were added by using Open Other User's Folder too frequently.
- Increases the data validation control capabilities in Excel for Mac
This fix increases the data validation control capabilities from 1,024 entries to 2,048 entries.
- Improves the ability to respond and recover from certain Exchange server errors in Outlook for Mac
This update fixes an issue that causes Outlook for Mac to send too many Exchange server requests when Outlook for Mac receives certain errors from the server.
- Improves the ability to manage responses for meetings that are sent to distribution lists in Outlook for Mac
This update fixes an issue that causes meetings that are sent to distribution lists in which the Request Responses option is not selected to display response options when attendees view meetings in the Calendar view.
- Improves the ability to create Microsoft Lync for Mac online meetings in Outlook for Mac
This update fixes an issue that causes Outlook for Mac to stop responding when you try to schedule an online meeting by using Lync for Mac. This issue occurs when certain information, such as a toll-free number, is missing from the dial-in conference settings.
- Improves Microsoft Word pointer display
This update fixes an issue that causes mouse pointers to disappear in sections of documents.
- Improves the experience for sending encrypted messages in Outlook for Mac
This update fixes an issue that causes Outlook for Mac to check Active Directory Domain Services every time for certificates when the application sends encrypted messages in OS X Mavericks, instead of first checking locally cached certificates in the OS X Keychain.
PrerequisitesBefore you install the Office for Mac 2011 14.4.1 update, make sure that you have Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 or a later version installed on your computer. Also, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X v10.5.8 or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac on the Apple menu.
To verify that Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 or a later version is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Applications.
- Open the Microsoft Office 2011 folder, and then start any Office application. For example, start Word.
- On the application menu, click About <application>.
- In the About <application> dialog box, notice the version number that is displayed there. It should be 14.1.0 or a later version number.
How to obtain the updateThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the Microsoft Office for Mac 14.4.1 Update package now.
Release Date: April 8, 2014
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Updated filesFor a complete list of the files that this update adds or changes, double-click the update installer, and then, on the File menu, click Show Files.
NotesThe Office for Mac 14.4.1 Update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate. AutoUpdate is a program that automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date.
To use AutoUpdate, start a Microsoft Office program. Then, on the Help menu, click Check for Updates.
Learn about the resources for Office for Mac 2011.
Article ID: 2939132 - Last Review: 8 Apr 2014 - Revision: 1