This update applies to only Windows 7-based computers that have Microsoft Office 2016 applications installed.
This article describes update 3203471 for Microsoft Office 2016 that was released on July 5, 2017. This update has a prerequisite.
Be aware that the update on the Microsoft Download Center applies to the Microsoft Installer (.msi)-based edition of Office 2016. It doesn't apply to the Office 2016 Click-to-Run editions, such as Microsoft Office 365 Home. (How to determine?)
This update fixes the following issue:
Emojis are sometimes displayed as square boxes in Office 2016 applications in Windows 7. This issue occurs because Office 2016 applications request Emojis to be displayed in the Segoe UI Emoji font, and the font is missing in Windows 7. This update installs the Segoe UI Emoji font.
Use Microsoft Update to automatically download and install the update.
This update is also available for manual download and installation from the Microsoft Download Center.
- Download update KB3203471 for 32-bit version of Office 2016
- Download update KB3203471 for 64-bit version of Office 2016
If you're not sure which platform (32-bit or 64-bit) you're running, see Am I running 32-bit or 64-bit Office? Additionally, see more information about how to download Microsoft support files.
- Start an Office 2016 application.
- On the File menu, select Account.
- For Office 2016 Click-to-Run installations, an Update Options item is displayed. For MSI-based installations, the Update Options item isn't displayed.
|Office 2016 Click-to-Run installation||MSI-based Office 2016|
How to uninstall this update
- Go to Start, enter Run, and then select Run.
- Enter Appwiz.cpl, and then select OK.
- Select View installed updates.
- In the list of updates, locate and select KB3203471, and then select Uninstall.
Learn about the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates. The Office System TechCenter contains the latest administrative updates and strategic deployment resources for all versions of Office.
The English (United States) version of this software update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables. The dates and the times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The dates and the times for these files on your local computer are displayed in your local time together with your current daylight saving time (DST) bias. Additionally, the dates and the times may change when you perform certain operations on the files.
Article ID: 3203471 - Last Review: 5 Jul 2017 - Revision: 19