Some products might not be available in your country or region.
If you have trouble detaching or attaching your Surface Book keyboard, if your Surface Book seems slow, or if the keyboard or touchpad don’t work as expected, try these solutions.
Try these solutions to fix your problem with your Surface Book.
- Before you begin
- If you can’t detach the keyboard
- If the Detach icon is missing from the taskbar
- If you have problems typing or using the touchpad
- If your Surface Book seems to slow down
- If you still have a problem
- Don’t detach the keyboard while your Surface Book is shutting down. If you accidentally press the Detach key while your Surface Book is shutting down, press the key again. You can attach the keyboard at any time.
- In Draw or View Mode, the keyboard and touchpad are disabled to prevent accidental keystrokes.
- You can charge the keyboard while it’s detached from the Clipboard.
- To charge the Clipboard while it’s detached, use the power port in the center of the bottom edge, where it connects to the keyboard.
Before you begin
Maintaining the connectors on your Surface Book keyboard
Microsoft recommends the following steps to help care for your Surface Book if the connectors become dirty. Dirty connectors can result in poor performance and possible attach/detach issues, Windows OS and application hangs/crashes or system freezing, or stop errors.
- Detach the Clipboard from the keyboard.
- Wet a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol. (Use 95% isopropyl alcohol or higher if possible.) Clean the silver pins on both faces of the three connectors located on the top middle surface of the keyboard hinge. Rub the cotton swab back and forth vigorously to clean the pins. Use a fresh swab surface to clean each of the connector faces (six in total).
- After you're done cleaning the pins on the connector, make sure the pins are dry and that no cotton fibers remain on the connector. Reattach the Clipboard to the keyboard and check to see if the issue is resolved.
Install Surface and Windows updates
Make sure you have the latest Surface Book and Windows updates. To find out how, go to Install Surface and Windows updates.
Make sure the Clipboard and keyboard are securely attached
The Detach key
- Push the Clipboard down onto the keyboard with moderate pressure to attach the keyboard more securely.
If you still have a problem
If you still have a problem with your Surface Book keyboard, contact us.