Improvements and fixes
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4493462 (released April 25, 2019) and addresses the following issues:
- Provides protections against a new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities, known as Microarchitectural Data Sampling, for 64-Bit (x64) versions of Windows (CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130). Use the registry settings as described in the Windows Server article. (These registry settings are disabled by default for Windows Server OS editions).
- Addresses an issue that may cause “Error 1309” while installing or uninstalling certain types of .msi and .msp files on a virtual drive.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Microsoft Visual Studio Simulator from starting.
- Addresses an issue that may cause the text, layout, or cell size to become narrower or wider than expected in Microsoft Excel when using the MS UI Gothic or MS PGothic fonts.
- Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Cryptography, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Wireless Networking, Windows Kernel, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
|After installing this update, there may be issues using the Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) to start a device from a Windows Deployment Services (WDS) server configured to use Variable Window Extension. This may cause the connection to the WDS server to terminate prematurely while downloading the image. This issue does not affect clients or devices that are not using Variable Window Extension.|| |
This issue is resolved KB4503285.
|Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.|| |
Do one of the following:
|If previous dictionary updates are installed, the Japanese input method editor (IME) doesn't show the new Japanese Era name as a text input option.|| |
If you see any of the previous dictionary updates listed below, uninstall it from Programs and features > Uninstall or change a program. New words that were in previous dictionary updates are also in this update.
|After installing the May 14, 2019 update, some gov.uk websites that don’t support HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) may not be accessible through Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge.||This issue is resolved in KB4505050.|
|Internet Explorer 11 may stop working when loading or interacting with Power BI reports that have line charts with markers. This issue may also occur when viewing other content that contains Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) markers.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4503295.