- After you apply this security update, the PowerShell v3.0+ stop-computer command fails. You get a "Privilege not held" error message. For more information, go to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
For any Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) applications returning the following error message:
Get-WmiObject: The method or operation is not implemented.
To temporarily disable this update, customers can apply the following registry entry to their system.
Warning Enabling this registry entry could allow security vulnerabilities including Remote Code Execution.Registry entry
- For 32-bit process on 32-bit system and 64-bit process on 64-bit system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v2.0.50727@WMIDisableCOMSecurity=1
- For 32-bit process on 64-bit system:
This registry entry should be a DWORD entry.
This registry entry restores the previous unsecured state.
- For 32-bit process on 32-bit system and 64-bit process on 64-bit system:
- For more information about this security update as it relates to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
4014988 Security Only update for the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2, 4.5.2, and 4.6 updates for Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2: April 11, 2017
Method 1: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Method 2: Windows Software Update Services (WSUS)
- Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0.
- Expand ComputerName, and then click Action.
- Click Import Updates.
- WSUS will open a browser window in which you may be prompted to install an ActiveX control. You must install the ActiveX control to continue.
- Once the control is installed, you will see the Microsoft Update Catalog screen. Enter 4014988 in the Search box, and then click Search.
- Locate the .NET Framework packages that match the operating systems, languages, and processors in your environment. Click Add to add them to your basket.
- When you have selected all the packages you need, click View Basket.
- Click Import to import the packages to your WSUS server.
- Click Close once the packages have been imported to return to WSUS.
The updates are now available for installation through WSUS.
Update deployment information
For deployment details for this security update, go to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Update removal information
Note We do not recommend that you remove any security update. To remove this update, use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Update restart information
This update does not require a system restart after you apply it unless files that are being updated are locked or are being used.
Update replacement information
This update does not replace any previously released update.
The English (United States) version of this software update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables.
Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 file information
The MANIFEST files (.manifest) and MUM files (.mum) that are installed are not listed.
- Help for installing updates: Windows Update FAQ
- Security solutions for IT professionals: TechNet Security Support and Troubleshooting
- Help for protecting your Windows-based products and services from viruses and malware: Microsoft Secure
- Local support according to your country: International Support
Article ID: 4014571 - Last Review: 21 Apr 2017 - Revision: 25