This article describes the issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 14 for Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager. This article also contains the installation instructions for this update.
Note Existing Data Protection Manager to Windows Azure customers should upgrade to the latest agent (version 2.0.9099.0 or a later version). If the latest agent is not installed, online backups may fail, and no Data Protection Manager to Windows Azure operation will work.
Support for TLS 1.2
Update rollup 14 for System Center components adds support for Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol version 1.2. For more information about how to set up, configure, and run your environment to use TLS 1.2, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
4055768 TLS 1.2 Protocol Support Deployment Guide for System Center 2012 R2
Please be aware that backing up VMware Virtual Machines is not supported with TLS 1.2 enabled.
How to obtain Update Rollup 14 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager
Update packages for Data Protection Manager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
To obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that has a Data Protection Manager component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the Update Rollup package, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.
Go to the following website to manually download the update package from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
For information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Installation instructions for Data Protection Manager
To install this update for Data Protection Manager, follow these steps:
- Before you install this update, make a backup of the Data Protection Manager database.
- Install this rollup package on the server that's running System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager. To do this, run Microsoft Update on the server.
- In the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console, update the protection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Note This update rollup agent update requires you to restart protected servers in order to create or change protection groups.
Method 1: Update the protection agents from the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select a computer, and then click Update on the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
Method 2: Update the protection agents on the protected servers
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the following directory on the System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager server: Data_Protection_Manager_installation_location\DPM\DPM\Agents\RA\4.2.1603.0
The installation packages are as follows:
For x86-based updates: i386\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB4043315.msp
For x64-based updates: amd64\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB4043315_AMD64.msp
- Run the appropriate DPMProtectionAgent.msp package on each protected server, depending on the architecture of the agent.
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console on the System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager server.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab. Select the protected server, update the information, and then verify that the agent version number is 4.2.1603.0.