The new Windows comes with Windows Defender
Windows Defender for Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 provides built-in protection against malware. You can't use Microsoft Security Essentials, but you don't need to—Windows Defender is already included and ready to go. But if you’re looking to protect a PC with an older version of Windows, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials to help guard against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It provides real-time protection for your home or small business PCs.
* Internet access fees may apply while downloading.
Minimum system requirements for running Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Security Essentials is free* and easy to download and use. Here's what you need to run it:
- Operating System: Windows Vista (Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2), Windows 7
- A PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
- 200 MB of available hard disk space.
- An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Internet Browser:
- Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later
As of April 8, 2014, technical support for Windows XP and Windows XP Mode are no longer available, including updates that help protect your PC. Learn more about Windows XP end of support.