To learn more about the User Profile Service Application see also http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662538.aspx.
The User Profile Service Application is based on technologies provided through ForeFront Identity Manager which provides a comprehensive solution for identity and credential management and identity-based access policies.
To learn more about ForeFront Identity Manager see also http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/forefront/identity-manager.aspx.
Since RTM the User Profile Service Application has been incrementally improved through Cumulative Updates and Service Packs to improve both its performance and resiliency. Recent improvements include:
- Parallel SharePoint, Active Directory, and Business Connectivity Services import and export support
- ForeFront Identity Manager performance improvements
- Reduction of full table scans and indexing specific user properties
- Batch import of Business Connectivity Services user properties
- Removed automatic provisioning of users and groups to ILM MA
- Programmatic cleanup of large run histories
- Resolution of AD-Contact objects in ForeFront Identity Manager as opposed to SharePoint Server 2010
If you experience delays in importing users and properties or are just looking to improve the security, reliability, and performance of your SharePoint 2010 environment, we recommend installing the latest Cumulative Update or Service Pack.
Article ID: 2705946 - Last Review: 27 Apr 2012 - Revision: 1