When you apply this update through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), it is only applicable to earlier versions of SSMS 17.x. This package will fully upgrade any previous 17.x version.
- Added a new SQL Vulnerability Assessment service to scan your databases for potential vulnerabilities and deviations from best practices, such as misconfigurations, excessive permissions, and exposed sensitive data.
- Results of the assessment include steps to resolve each issue and customized remediation scripts where applicable. The assessment report can be customized for each environment and tailored to specific requirements. Learn more at SQL Vulnerability Assessment.
SQL Server Management Objects (SMO):
- Fixed issue where HasMemoryOptimizedObjects was throwing an exception on Azure.
- Added support for the new CATALOG_COLLATION feature.
- Improvements for latency analysis in Availability Groups.
- Added two new reports: AlwaysOn_Latency_Primary and AlwaysOn_Latency_Secondary.
- Updated links to point to the correct documentation.
- Allow single plan analysis directly from the actual plan produced.
- New set of icons.
- Added support to recognize "Apply logical operators" such as GbApply and InnerApply.
- Renamed as XEvent Profiler.
- Stop/Start menu commands now stop/start the session by default.
- Enabled keyboard shortcuts (for example, CTRL+F to search).
- Added database_name and client_hostname actions to the appropriate events in XEvent Profiler sessions. For the change to take effect, you may need to delete existing QuickSessionStandard or QuickSessionTSQL session instances on the servers - see 3142981
- Added a new command-line option (-G) that can be used to automatically direct SSMS to connect to a server or database by using Active Directory Authentication (either "Integrated" or "Password"). For more information, see Ssms utility.
Import Flat File Wizard:
- Added a way to pick a schema name other than the default ("dbo") when creating a table.
- Restored the "Regressed Queries" report when expanding the Query Store available reports list.
Integration Services (IS):
- Added a package validation function in Deployment Wizard that helps the user identify components in SSIS packages that are not supported in Azure-SSIS IR.
The following update is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the update now
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
- Object Explorer:
- Fixed an issue in which the Table-Valued Function node was not showing up for database snapshots - see 3140161.
- Improved performance when expanding Databases node when the server has autoclose databases.
- Query Editor:
- Fixed an issue in which IntelliSense was failing for users who don't have access to the master database.
- Fixed an issue that was causing SSMS to crash in some cases when the connection to a remote machine was closed - see 3142557.
- XEvent Viewer:
- Re-enabled functionality to export to XEL.
- Fixed issues in which users were unable to load an entire XEL file.
- XEvent Profiler:
- Fixed an issue that was causing SSMS to crash when the user doesn't have VIEW SERVER STATE permissions.
- Fixed an issue where closing the XE Profiler Live Data window didn't stop the underlying session.
- Registered Servers:
- Fixed an issue in which the TransferData method on the Transfer object wasn't working.
- Fixed an issue in which Server databases threw exceptions for paused SQL DW databases.
- Fixed an issue in which scripting SQL database against SQL DW generated incorrect T-SQL parameter values.
- Fixed an issue in which scripting of a stretched DB incorrectly emitted the DATA_COMPRESSION option.
- Job Activity Monitor:
- Fixed an issue in which the user was getting the error "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index (System.Windows.Forms)" when trying to filter by Category - See 3138691.
- Connection dialog box:
- Fixed an issue in which domain users who lack access to a Read/Write domain controller could not log in to a SQL Server by using SQL Authentication - see 2373381.
- Fixed an issue in which an error similar to "Cannot apply value 'null' to property ServerInstance" was displayed when viewing the properties of a pull subscription in SQL Server.
- SSMS Setup:
- Fixed an issue in which SSMS was set up incorrectly, causing all the installed products on the machine to be reconfigured.
- User Settings:
- With this fix, US Government sovereign cloud users have uninterrupted access to their Azure SQL database and ARM resources with SSMS via Universal authentication and Azure Active Directory login. Users of prior versions of SSMS would need to open Tools > Options > Azure Services and under "Resource Management," change the configuration of the "Active Directory Authority" property to https://login.microsoftonline.us.
Analysis Services (AS)
- Profiler: Fixed an issue that occurred when trying to connect by using Window Authentication against Azure AS.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a crash when canceling connection details on a 1400 model.
- When setting an Azure blob key in the connection properties dialog box when refreshing credentials, that setting will now be visually masked.
- Fixed an issue in the Azure Analysis Services User selection dialog box to show the Application ID guid instead of the Object ID when searching.
- Fixed an issue in the Browse Database/MDX query designer toolbar that caused the icons to be incorrectly mapped for some buttons.
- Fixed an issue that prevented connecting to SSAS by using msmdpump IIS http/https addresses.
- Several strings in the Azure Analysis Services User Picker dialog have been translated for additional languages.
- The MaxConnections property is now visible for data sources in tabular models.
- Deployment Wizard will now generate correct JSON definitions for Azure AS role members.
- Fixed an issue in SQL Profiler in which selecting Windows Authentication against Azure AS would still prompt for login.