IMPORTANT Verify that you have installed the updates listed in the How to get this update section before installing this update. For all updates starting with August 13, 2019, we strongly recommend that you install these updates to prevent any issues.
Improvements and fixes
This non-security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of KB4512506 (released August 13, 2019) and also includes these new quality improvements as a preview of the next Monthly Rollup update:
- Addresses an issue that causes the svchost.exe that hosts the WSMan Service (WsmSvc) to stop working and stops other services in the same host process. This issue occurs when you run multiple instances of Windows Remote Management (WinRM).
- Addresses an issue that may prevent devices from starting when they start up using Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) images from Windows Deployment Services (WDS) or System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM). The error is, "Status: 0xc0000001, Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed."
Known issues in this update
IA64 devices (in any configuration) and x64 devices using EFI boot that were provisioned after the July 9th updates and/or skipped the recommended update (KB3133977), may fail to start with the following error:
Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file."
To resolve this issue please follow the steps outlined in the SHA-2 support FAQ article for error code 0xc0000428.
|Symantec identified the potential for a negative interaction that may occur after Windows Updates code signed with SHA-2 only certificates are installed on devices with Symantec or Norton antivirus programs installed. The software may not correctly identify files included in the update as code signed by Microsoft, putting the device at risk for a delayed or incomplete update.|| |
The safeguard hold has been removed. Symantec has completed its evaluation of the impact of this update and future updates to Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2. Symantec has determined that there is no increased risk of a false positive detection for all in-field versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection and Norton antivirus programs. See the Symantec support article for additional details and please reach out to Symantec or Norton support if you encounter any issues.
|VBScript in Internet Explorer 11 should be disabled by default after installing KB4507437 (Preview of Monthly Rollup) or KB4511872 (Internet Explorer Cumulative Update) and later. However, in some circumstances, VBScript may not be disabled as intended.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4519976.
|After installing this update, you may receive an error when opening or using the Toshiba Qosmio AV Center. You may also receive an error in the Event Log related to cryptnet.dll.||This issue is resolved in KB4516048.|
How to get this update
Before installing this update
You must install the updates listed below and restart your device before installing the latest Rollup. Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process and mitigates potential issues while installing the Rollup.
- The March 12, 2019 servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4490628). If you are using Windows Update, this SSU will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- The latest SHA-2 update (KB4474419) released August 13, 2019. If you are using Windows Update, the latest SHA-2 update will be offered to you automatically. For more information on SHA-2 updates, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
- If you are using EFI Boot on your device or virtual machine (VM), you must also install KB3133977. Currently, KB3133977 is required as a workaround for a known issue when using EFI Boot and should be applied even if you are not using BitLocker. For more information on this update, see the frequently asked questions in 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update or Microsoft Update||Yes||This is provided as an Optional update on Windows Update. For more information about how to run Windows Update, see How to get an update through Windows Update.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically synchronize with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4512514.