Windows Media Player can't find the file. This error message usually indicates that the link from an item in the Player Library to its associated digital media file is broken. Items in the Player Library are links to digital media files that are stored on your computer, a network drive, a removable storage card, an Internet server, or another location. Links can be broken for one of the following reasons:
- A link to a temporary file from the Internet cache (for example, a file from the Temporary Internet Files folder) was added to the Player Library and that file was later deleted.
- A link to a digital media file was added to the Player Library and the file was later deleted.
Things to try
Repair a link
- If you deleted or moved the file, replace it to its original location.
- Search for the item in the Player Library or list pane, select the blue icon beside the item, select Browse for this item, and then locate the file.
Delete a link
- Search for the item in the Player Library or list pane, select the blue icon beside the item, and then select Remove this item.
- Press and hold (or right-click) the item in the Player Library, and then select Delete.
Article ID: 15034 - Last Review: 31-Aug-2016 - Revision: 15