This article describes the issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 7 for Microsoft System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager (DPM) Service Pack 1 (SP1). This article also contains the installation instructions for Update Rollup 7 for System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager SP1.
Issues that are fixed in this update rollup
- The DPM console crashes while performing a re-catalog or "mark as free" operation on an imported tape.
- The MSDPM service crashes when protected data sources have long names.
- The DPMRA service crashes during replica creation when the database name on one of the SQL instances matches, or is a substring of, a SQL instance name that's hosted on the server that's being protected.
- The DPMRA service crashes on a production server that's being backed up.
- This update lets administrators configure the DPMRA port and select a nondefault port by following these steps:
- Install UR7 for System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager SP1.
- Run the setagentcfg.exe command by using the following command line:setagentcfg.exe s <protected_server_FQDN><alternate_port>
Note By default, this is located in %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Setup folder.
- Verify that a new entry has been created in the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\2.0\PsPortConfig
- Copy the Setagentcfg.exe file from the DPM server to the following folder on the protected server:%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin
- Run the following command on the protected server:setagentcfg.exe e DPMRA <alternate_port>Note Use the same port number that's specified in step 2.
- Restart the DPM server.
- Restart the DPMRA service on the protected server.
How to obtain and install Update Rollup 7 for System Center 2012 for Data Protection Manager SP1
Download informationUpdate packages for Data Protection Manager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
Microsoft UpdateTo obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that has an applicable System Center 2012 SP1 component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the update rollup packages that you want to install, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the selected update packages.
Manual download of the update packagesTo manually download the update packages from the Microsoft Update Catalog, go to the following Microsoft website:
Installation instructionsTo install the update for Data Protection Manager, follow these steps:
- Before you install this update, make a backup of the Data Protection Manager database.
- Install the rollup package on the server that's running System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager SP1. To do this, run Microsoft Update on the server.
Note Before you install this update through Microsoft Update, you should close the Data Protection Manager console. You may have to restart the Data Protection Manager server after you install this rollup package.
- In the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console, update the protection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Update the protection agents from the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select a computer, and then click Update on the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
Note You may have to restart the computer after you install the agent upgrades.
Method 2: Update the protection agents on the protected computers
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the following directory on the System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager SP1 server:Data_Protection_Manager_installation_location\DPM\DPM\Agents\RA\4.1.3453.0The installation packages are as follows:
- For x86-based updates: i386\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB2966012.msp
- For x64-based updates: amd64\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB2966012.msp
- Run the appropriate DPMProtectionAgent_KB2966012.msp package on each protected computer, based on the architecture of the agent.
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console on the System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager SP1 server.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab. Select the protected computers, update the information, and then verify that the agent version number is 4.1.3453.0.