About Kerberos Configuration Manager
The Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server is a diagnostic tool that helps troubleshoot Kerberos related connectivity issues with SQL Server, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS). It can perform the following functions:
- Collect information about operating system (OS), Microsoft SQL Server instances, and Always On Availability Group Listeners installed on a server.
- Report all Service Principal Name (SPN) and delegation configurations on the server.
- Identify potential problems in SPNs and delegations.
- Fix potential SPN problems.
This tool helps troubleshoot the following exceptions:
- 401Note This error message is for http errors, SSRS errors, and some other similar errors.
- Login failed for user 'NTAUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS'
- Login failed for user '(null)'
- Login failed for user ''
- Cannot generate SSPI Context
For more information about Kerberos Configuration Manager, go to the following related blog:
To Start the Tool:
- After the installation is complete successfully, double-click KerberosConfigMgr.exe to start the application.
- To troubleshoot the connectivity issue with SQL Server, connect to the destination computer by using a domain user account that has user permissions to that computer.
- To troubleshoot the connectivity issue with SSRS, connect to the destination computer by using a domain user account that has administrative permissions to that computer.
To Generate the SPN List from the Command Line:
- Go to the command line. (Note: To troubleshoot the connectivity issue with SSRS, start the command line window as administrator.)
- Switch to the folder where KerberosConfigMgr.exe is.
- Type KerberosConfigMgr.exe -q -l.
- For more command-line option, type KerberosConfigMgr.exe -h.
To Save a Server's Kerberos Configuration Information:
- Connect to the target windows server.
- Click the Save button on the toolbar.
- Specify the location where you want the file to be saved. It can be on a local drive or a network share.
- The file will be saved as the .XML format.
To View a Server's Kerberos Configuration Information from the Saved File:
- Click the Load button on the toolbar.
- Open the XML file generated by Kerberos Configuration Manager.
To Generate a Script to Fix the SPN from the Command Line:
- Click the Generate button for the SPN entry.
- The generated script can be used by a user who has permissions to fix the SPN on the server.
To See the Log Files for This Tool:
By default, one log file is generated every time that the application is run in the user's application data folder: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\KerberosConfigMgr.
To Get Help:
Option 1: Hover the pointer over the command for tooltip.
Option 2: Run KerberosConfigMgr.exe –h from the command line.
Option 3: Click the Help button in the toolbar.