This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see the following security advisories:
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16941
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16942
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16944
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16945
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16946
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16948
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16951
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16952
- Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2020-16953
Note To apply this security update, you must have the release version of Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2016 installed on the computer.
This public update delivers Feature Pack 2 for SharePoint Server 2016. Feature Pack 2 contains the following feature:
- SharePoint Framework (SPFx)
This public update also delivers all the features that were included in Feature Pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2016, including:
- Administrative Actions Logging
- MinRole enhancements
- SharePoint Custom Tiles
- Hybrid Taxonomy
- OneDrive API for SharePoint on-premises
- OneDrive for Business modern user experience (available to Software Assurance customers)
The OneDrive for Business modern user experience requires an active Software Assurance contract at the time that the experience is enabled, either by installation of the public update or by manual enablement. If you don't have an active Software Assurance contract at the time of enablement, you must turn off the OneDrive for Business modern user experience.
For more information, see the following Microsoft Docs articles:
Improvements and fixes
- Removes the Edit Connection Filters menu item from the User Profile Service synchronization connection list.
- Fixes the following issue that occurs after the KB 4484506 is installed:
An error occurs when you try to access the "Result Sources," "Query Rules," "Search Result Sources," or "Search Query Rules" page from the Search Settings section of Site Settings.
- Fixes an exception that occurs when you apply filters in a managed metadata navigation tree.
- Fixes an issue in which an invalid SharedWithUsers property of a file may cause the file upload to fail.
- Fixes currency scenarios in the English word breaker. Now, users can search currency by number such as "123.45" in "$123.45."
- Fixes an issue in which the upgrade fails when you attach and upgrade an Application Management Service database from SharePoint Server 2016 to SharePoint Server 2019.
- Fixes an issue in which documents can't be uploaded if the Identity column value reaches maximum limit.
Note To fix this issue completely, you have to install KB 4486681 together with this update.
- Fixes an issue in which users can't run a backup if Central Administration is installed on a server that's configured as a Web Front End (WFE) or WFE with Distributed Cache in a MinRole farm.
- Fixes an issue in which the version comments for the file are not saved if you upload a file that's larger than 100 MB.
- Opening the approvals page or submitting timesheets is very slow.
- Sometimes, when you open a project, the % Complete value on a Fixed Duration task that's 100 percent complete changes to a lesser value.
How to get and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft Update
This update is available from Microsoft Update. When you turn on automatic updating, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. For more information about how to get security updates automatically, see Windows Update: FAQ.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Method 3: Microsoft Download Center
You can get the standalone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. Follow the installation instructions on the download page to install the update.
Security update deployment information
For deployment information about this update, see security update deployment information: October 13, 2020.
Security update replacement information
This security update replaces previously released security update 4484506.
File hash information
|File name||SHA1 hash||SHA256 hash|