Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8
A remote code execution vulnerability exists in .NET Framework when the software fails to check the source markup of XML file input. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could run arbitrary code in the context of the process responsible for deserialization of the XML content. To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker could upload a specially crafted document to a server utilizing an affected product to process content. The security update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how .NET Framework validates the source markup of XML content.
This security update affects how .NET Framework's System.Data.DataTable and System.Data.DataSet types read XML-serialized data. Most .NET Framework applications will not experience any behavioral change after the update is installed. For more information on how the update affects .NET Framework, including examples of scenarios which may be affected, please see the DataTable and DataSet security guidance document at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2132227.
To learn more about the vulnerabilities, go to the following Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE).
- All updates for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, and 4.7.2 require that the d3dcompiler_47.dll update is installed. We recommend that you install the included d3dcompiler_47.dll update before you apply this update. For more information about the d3dcompiler_47.dll, see KB 4019990.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Additional information about this update
- 4565610 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5 for Windows Server 2012 (KB4565610)
- 4565615 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows Server 2012 (KB4565615)
- 4565621 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows Server 2012 (KB4565621)
- 4565634 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows Server 2012 (KB4565634)