The Phone screen feature only works when your Android device and PC can communicate with each other. They’ll both need to be turned on and connected to the same network (for example, your home Wi-Fi).
Common troubleshooting for Wi-Fi:
- Check if your Android device is connected to mobile data instead of Wi-Fi, by going into your device’s Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi and ensure your Wi-Fi toggle is turned On and underneath your current network is Connected.
- Check if your Android device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your PC.
- Start by checking your mobile connection in Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi and note the name of the network under the current network heading.
- On your PC, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi. Verify that your PC Wi-Fi is turned On and the connected network is the same as on your Android device.
- You may have two different Wi-Fi networks, e.g. one that uses the 2.4GHz band and the other 5GHz. If you click on your PC/Android device Wi-Fi icon, you should be able to see these networks in the list. Try connecting to the same network on both devices.
- Are you behind a firewall or using a VPN? If so, it could be blocking communication between your devices. You could try disabling these to see if it fixes the problem.
Public and work networks may cause connection errors
If you're attempting to use Phone screen in your workplace, a successful connection may not always be possible. In that event we’d recommend talking to your IT department or network administrator. If you're connected to a public Wi-Fi network (like at a hotel or coffee shop), they may have network restrictions preventing you from being able to connect.
If you see an error message indicating your PC couldn't connect to your Android device, it could be for a variety of reasons. Here are few things to try:
On your Android device, check that:
- Your device is turned on.
- Battery Saver is turned Off on your device.
- Airplane mode is turned Off.
- It's connected to the same network or Wi-Fi as your PC.
- You're signed into the Your Phone Companion app with the same Microsoft account as you're using on your PC.
On your PC:
- Check if your PC is connected to the Internet.
- Make sure Battery Saver is turned Off.
- Check that your system accounts are working correctly. In Windows, go to Settings > System > Shared experiences. If you see a Fix now link in the Accounts section, select the link and follow the instructions.
Why doesn't Phone screen work with my Samsung Galaxy Z Flip?
If you close your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip while mirroring it using phone screen, it can create a blurred image that doesn't allow you to interact with your phone. To prevent this, you'll need to keep your Galaxy Z Flip open while using phone screen.