When you try to edit a subdocument of a Master document in Outline view, you may receive the following error message:
There is insufficient memory. Save the document now.
This behavior occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The subdocument is restricted for editing
- You expanded the subdocument in Outline view for in-place editing.
To work around this behavior, follow these steps:
- On the Outline toolbar,click Collapse Subdocuments.
- Double-click the File icon for the subdocument that is restricted for editing.
The subdocument opens in a new window.
- On the View menu, click Task Pane.
- On the Other Task Panes menu at the top of the Task Pane, click Protect Document.
- Click Show All Regions I Can Edit, and then click to select the Highlight the regions I can edit check box.
- Make your changes, save the subdocument, and then close the subdocument.
- Repeat steps 2 through 6 for any other subdocuments that are restricted for editing.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.