Learn all about the security and non-security updates that are published for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 through Windows Update. These updates address issues and improve the overall reliability of the operating system.
Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 rollups (monthly rollups and security-only updates) are applicable by default to the following Windows 8.1 Industry-based embedded product:
- Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise.
- Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro.
If a rollup is not applicable to an embedded product, we will explicitly state that it is not applicable.
Current status of Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
Notes and messages
IMPORTANT Starting in July 2020, all Windows Updates will disable the RemoteFX vGPU feature because of a security vulnerability. For more information about the vulnerability, see CVE-2020-1036 and KB4570006. After you install this update, attempts to start virtual machines (VM) that have RemoteFX vGPU enabled will fail, and messages such as the following will appear:
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because all the RemoteFX-capable GPUs are disabled in Hyper-V Manager.”
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because the server has insufficient GPU resources.”
If you re-enable RemoteFX vGPU, a message similar to the following will appear:
- "We no longer support the RemoteFX 3D video adapter. If you are still using this adapter, you may become vulnerable to security risk. Learn more (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2131976)”