This article describes the issuesthat are fixed in Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Azure Backup Server v3. Thisarticle also contains the installation instructions for this update.Note: Existing Azure Backup Server customersshould upgrade to the latest Microsoft Azure Recovery Services (MARS) agent(version 2.0.9171.0 or a later version). If the latest agent is notinstalled, online backups may fail, and no Microsoft Azure Backup Server to MicrosoftAzure operation will work.
Issues that are fixed
This update fixes the followingissues:
- Duringthe attach agent wizard when you select a Computer on trusted domain and addit, the selected Computer does not list under selected computers.
- Youdelete the protection group with retaining the recovery point for a VMware VMwhich is no longer available on the ESX server. If you recreate the new VM withthe same name on the same ESX instance and protect again using MABS, therecovery pane creates multiple entries for this VM.
- TheMABS Console becomes unresponsive while loading Recoverable Items for a data source in the recovery pane.
- MABSService may crash during MABS maintenance jobs that run at midnight.
Insome scenarios, recovery point pruning job failures lead to storage bloat.
- Data Protection Manager service crash with error "The directory is not empty" while failing to delete a replica path during the Garbage Collection process.
- Restore Operation for SQL workloads fails with an error “Consolidation of recovery points of the replica failed” due to timeout. Introduced registry key to extend timeout value. Refer More Information section for additional details.
- The backup operation fails when Certificate based authentication is configured and Null Ciphers are disabled
- SharePoint backup fails when SQL server is located in a different domain than the SharePoint farm web front end. Refer More Information section for additional details.
OtherImprovements and Features
- MABSv3 UR1 also has additionalnew features introduced. For details on the new features refer to thedocumentation What'snew in Microsoft Azure Backup Server
- Support for 32bit protection agent is deprecatedwith MABS v3 UR1. Readmore.
How to obtain Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Azure Backup Server v3
Update packages for Microsoft AzureBackup Server are available from Microsoft Update or by manualdownload.
To obtain and install an updatepackage from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that hasa Microsoft Azure Backup Server component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the Update Rollup package, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.
Go to the following website tomanually download the update package from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
Two update packages are available for download.
- Microsoftazurebackup-kb4534062 - Use this update package to update all the components on MABS v3 server.
- Dpmmanagementshell-kb4534062 - Use this update package to update only the remote management console for MABS v3 server.
For information about how todownload Microsoft support files, click the following article number to viewthe article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 Howto obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file forviruses, using the most current virus-detection software that was available onthe date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhancedservers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to it.
Installation instructions for Microsoft Azure Backup Server v3
To install this update for MicrosoftAzure Backup Server, follow these steps:
- Before you install this update, make a backup of the Microsoft Azure Backup Server database.
- Install this rollup package on the server that's running Microsoft Azure Backup Server v3. To do this, run Microsoft Update on the server.
- In the Microsoft Azure Backup Server Administrator Console, update the protection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Note: This update rollup agentupdate may require you to restart protected servers in order to create orchange protection groups.
Method 1:Update the protection agents from the Microsoft Azure Backup ServerAdministrator Console
- Open the Microsoft Azure Backup Server Administrator Console.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select a computer, and then click Update on the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
Method 2:Update the protection agents on the protected servers
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the following directory on the Microsoft Azure Backup Server v3 server:
- Run the appropriate DPMProtectionAgent.msp package on each protected server, depending on the architecture of the agent.
- Open the Microsoft Azure Backup Server Administrator Console on the Microsoft Azure Backup Server v3.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab. Select the protected server, update the information, and then verify that the agent version number is 13.0.580.0
Restore operation of SQL backup may fail with an error“Consolidation of recovery points of the replica failed” due to timeout. Toresolve this issue, make sure you install this UR. Then add following registrykey to increase the timeout value. The default value is 30 minutes. You canincrease up to 300 minutes.
Add the following registry key on the MABS server to increase thetimeout value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data ProtectionManager\Configuration\DiskStorage
If the SQL Database server for SharePoint farm is in different domainthan SharePoint farm, the protection of SharePoint farm may fail. This happenswhen the NetBIOS name of SQL server was used during SharePointinstallation instead of FQDN. To resolve this issue either you can reinstallSharePoint farm by specifying FQDN of the SQL Server or use followingregistry key. You first need to install this Update Rollup package on the MABSServer
Add the following registry key on all the SharePoint Web FrontEnd Servers,
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data ProtectionManager\Agent\Sharepoint
Value: <Domain name of the SQL Server>