Subscribers who have access to the Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription or the Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription – Annual can consume the Office 365 Developer Subscription benefit. The Office 365 Developer Subscription allows a subscriber to Develop, test, and deploy add-ins for Office and SharePoint. This benefit allows for one-tenant and up to 25 users.
Important: The below process applies to customers who are creating a new tenant. If you are trying to add yourself to an existing tenant, you should contact the tenant admin. Only admins can add you as a user by visiting https://portal.office.com. Refer to How Do I Update the Number of Users from the Office 365 Admin Portal? for detailed steps.
1. Visit https://my.visualstudio.com to sign in to the Subscription Portal.
2. Depending on your account, you will either be redirected to your Organization’s sign in page, or the Microsoft Account sign in page. In either case, please enter your username and password, and click “Next”.
3. Once the sign in process is complete, you should see the Subscriptions Benefits page. If you have more than one subscription, you can switch between the subscriptions by clicking the drop-down arrow in the top right corner, below the black ribbon. When trying to consume the Office 365 Developer Subscription Benefit, you will need to click the arrow to scroll to left under the “Tools” section of the benefit page.
4. Locate the Office 365 Developer Subscription benefit, and click the “Activate” link.
5. After clicking “Activate” a pop-up window should appear stating that “The coupon code has been successfully retrieved. Click the blue “Activate” button to proceed".
6. After clicking the “Activate” button, you will be redirected to the Office 365 Enterprise Developer setup page. Fill out the form, and click “Next”.
7. Continuing the process for “Step 1”, again fill out the form, and click “Next”.
9. Finalize “Step 2” by providing your preferred authentication channel, Text or Phone, and choose the appropriate action. In this case, “Text me”.
10. Complete “Step 2” by entering the “Verification Code” received via text message, and click “Next”.
11. Moving on to “Step 3”, you can increase the number of users from 1 to 25. Input the desired number of users, and click “Next”.
Note: Values greater than 25 will result in an error.
Note: Increasing or decreasing the user count can also be performed via the Office 365 Admin Portal.
12. In finalizing “Step 3”, you will be asked to select a “Payment Method.” There are two Payment Options available. The first option would be to add a “Credit Card” (as displayed below), and the second option is “Invoice”. In both cases, a $0.00 order is submitted by clicking “Place Order”.
Note: For subscribers who don’t want to provide a Credit Card, select the “Invoice” payment method.
13. At this point, you have successfully redeemed your Office 365 Developer Subscription Benefit.
1. To “Set up” your Office 365 Developer Subscription Benefit, you can either start from the Purchase confirmation page, or sign in to the Admin portal by visiting https://portal.office.com at a later time. In this case, we’ve selected “Start Setup” after the confirmation page.
2. After clicking “Start Setup”, “Step 1” will ask to connect to an existing domain you already own, or to continue using the tenant setup during redemption process. In the example below, we’ve opted to continue using our “Contoso.onmicrosoft.com” domain.
3. Moving on to “Step 2”, you can provide additional user accounts, and click “Next”.
4. Moving onto “Step 3”, you will be asked to validate the users, and provide an “Alternative Email” so that the user can leverage Office 365 applications.
5. Continuing with “Step 3”, you can include “Alternative Email” addresses for users, and an email can be sent by clicking “Send email”. Once you’ve completed the necessary actions for this page, click “Next”.
6. Finalizing “Step 3” will allow you to install Office applications. Select your desired applications, or click “Next” to finish.
7. This is the final screen. You can choose to exit setup, or continue to the Office 365 Admin center to further customize and use your Office 365 Developer Subscription benefit. To access the admin center after you’ve closed this window, navigate to https://portal.office.com, and sign in with appropriate tenant identity (e.g. JohnD@contoso.onmicrosoft.com).
In case you didn’t assign the required number of users during the redemption process and wish to increase this number at a later time, follow the steps below.
1. To increase users after the redemption process has been completed, you will need to visit https://portal.office.com and sign in with the “User ID” created during the tenant creation steps.
Note: If you’re having trouble finding your sign in information, look in your “Order Confirmation” email sent from the “Microsoft Online Service Team <firstname.lastname@example.org)” with the subject “Order Confirmation: Thank you for your purchase”. Alternatively, you can also search your inbox for “Body:(Office 365 Enterprise E3 Developer MSDN)”.
2. After successful sign in, select “Admin”. You will be redirected to the “Admin Center”.
3. From the left hand navigation panel, click the drop down for “Billing” and click "Subscriptions".
4. Locate the Office 365 Enterprise E3 Developer MSDN subscription, and click “Add/ Remove Licenses”.
5. Increase or decrease the “Total users” to the desired value which is less than or equal to 25, and click “Submit”.
6. The “Purchase” value, as indicated on the “Subscriptions” page, should now match the value submitted.
Note: Exceeding a value of 25 “Total users” will result in an error.
7. Once the number of total users is updated, refer to Add users individually or in bulk to Office 365 - Admin Help to add new users to your O365 Subscription
- Add users individually or in bulk to Office 365 - Admin Help
- Add users individually or in bulk to Office 365 – YouTube Video
Note: You can activate Closed Caption and auto-translate captions if needed
- Click on the Closed Captions (CC) icon to activate
- If translation is needed, click Settings (Gear Icon) > Subtitles/CC > Auto-translate > Select the desired language.
Article ID: 4019175 - Last Review: 19 Jun 2017 - Revision: 18