Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0
This update is included in the Cumulative Update that is dated November 10, 2020. This update was previously released in the Cumulative Update that was dated October 13, 2020.
IMPORTANT Verify that you have installed the required updates listed in the How to get this update section before installing this update.
IMPORTANT If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
An information disclosure vulnerability exists when the .NET Framework improperly handles objects in memory. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could disclose contents of an affected system's memory. To exploit the vulnerability, an authenticated attacker would need to run a specially crafted application. The update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how the .NET Framework handles objects in memory.
To learn more about the vulnerabilities, go to the following Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE).
Additional information about this update
- 4586086 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 4.5.2, 4.6 for Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4586086)
How to obtain and install the update
Before installing this update
You must install the updates listed below and restart your device before installing the latest Rollup. Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process and mitigates potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes.
- The March 12, 2019 servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4490628). To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog. This update is required to install updates that are only SHA-2 signed.
- The latest SHA-2 update (KB4474419) released September 10, 2019. If you are using Windows Update, the latest SHA-2 update will be offered to you automatically. This update is required to install updates that are only SHA-2 signed. For more information on SHA-2 updates, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
- The August 11, 2020 SSU (KB4570673) or a later SSU. To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Important For Windows Thin PC, you must have the August 11, 2020 SSU (KB4570673) or a later SSU installed to make sure you continue to get the extended security updates starting with the October 13, 2020 updates.
- The Extended Security Updates (ESU) Licensing Preparation Package (KB4538483) released February 11, 2020. The ESU licensing preparation package will be offered to you from WSUS. To get the standalone package for ESU licensing preparation package, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||Yes||None. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update if you are an ESU customer.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows Server 2008 SP2Classification: Security Updates
Update deployment information
For deployment details for this security update, go to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
20201013 Security update deployment information: October 13, 2020
Update removal information
Note We do not recommend that you remove any security update. To remove this update, use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Update restart information
This update does not require a system restart after you apply it unless files that are being updated are locked or are being used.
Update replacement information
This update replaces previously released updates 4579980.
The English (United States) version of this software update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables.
Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 file information
The MANIFEST files (.manifest) and MUM files (.mum) that are installed are not listed.