Before you use the Import From ADP window, work with your ADP representative to complete the following tasks:
- Obtain the correct file structure for the import file.
- In the ADP product, set up the same account framework as in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- The format used in the ADP tool must contain 10 fields. Even though all 10 fields are not used by GP, they must still exist.
- The file should be comma delimited and have a .gli suffix or .csv suffix.
- Each field should have quotes around it. Open the file with Notepad to confirm.
- Each field should not be mapped wider than the maximum width allowed for each field in GP. See the Maximum Widths defined for each field at the end of the article below. (Note that the Description field in field 7 is shorter than the allowable length defined in Microsoft Dynamics GP.)
- All ten fields must exist in the file. The fields not used by GP can be blank or have a fixed value, but must still exist in the file.
- In the GL Batch Entry window, the 'number of Journal Entries' displayed for the ADP batch will actually display the 'number of lines' from the ADP file, so this can be misleading. However, if you drill into the transaction detail, it is comprised of only one journal entry and does post correctly as one journal entry. Since this is only a display issue and does post correctly, this issue will not be changed at this time. However, if you wish to correct it, you can click on Tools under Microsoft Dynamics GP, point to Utilities, point to Financial, click on Reconcile, select Batches and click Reconcile. This reconcile process will update the Number of Journal Entries in this batch to be correct. The user can add this to their documentation or part of their processes after they bring in an ADP file. This has been written up as a product suggestion, so please vote on this request using the link below if you would like to see this as a future enhancement:
|Client Code||This field is assigned by ADP but is not used in Microsoft Dynamics GP. If this field is not used in Microsoft Dynamics GP, you can leave this field blank.|
|General Ledger Account Number||This field is used for the distribution account number. Do not use spaces, dashes, or commas.|
|Journal Source Code||If you create a batch for the import, GJ (General Journal) is displayed in the Batch Type field.|
|Date||This field is not used in Microsoft Dynamics GP. The transaction date for the journal entry is used as the date that is entered in the import window.|
|Amount||This field is used for the debit lines and the credit lines of the distributions. Negative amounts are preceded by a minus sign (-).|
|Reference number 1||This field is not used in Microsoft Dynamics GP, but still must exist.|
|Description||This field is used as the description for the corresponding distribution line.|
|Reference number 2||This field is not used in Microsoft Dynamics GP, but still must exist.|
|Reference number 3||This field is not used in Microsoft Dynamics GP, but still must exist.|
|Record Code||This field is assigned by ADP but is not used in Microsoft Dynamics GP.|
Here is a more detailed description of how to map each field listed above in the ADP tool:
Field 1 - Client Code - Map to Fixed value or leave blank. Max width: 5.
Field 2 - GL account - Map to GL account. Do not use dashes, spaces or commas. Can set to width of your GL account. Max width: 24.
Field 3 - Journal Source Code - Map to fixed value of 'GJ'. Max width: 2.
Field 4 - Date - Map to Issue date. Can use MMDDY or MMDDYYYY. GP does not use this date. Max width: 5.
Field 5 - Amount - Map to Amount. Do not use dollar signs or commas. Set to 2 decimals. Max width: 13.
Field 6 - Ref 1 - Map to fixed value of blank. No filler. Max width: 6.
Field 7 - Description - Map to Description. Max width: 20. This field does not truncate, so cannot be greater than 20.
Field 8 - Ref 2 - Map to fixed value of blank. No filler. Max width: 6.
Field 9 - Ref 3 - Map to fixed value of blank. No filler. Max width: 6.
Field 10 - Record Code - Map to fixed value of '02'. Max width: 2.
When you open the ADP file in Notepad, all 10 fields must exist and it should look similar to this example:
Specific lines in the ADP file will be skipped if the Description in field 7 is longer than 20 characters. Even though this field allows 30 characters in Microsoft Dynamics GP, it cannot be longer than 20 characters in the file being imported as specified in the field widths above.
Article ID: 866501 - Last Review: 27 Oct 2014 - Revision: 1