When the Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail check box is selected, Outlook Express helps you manage your e-mail in the following ways:
- It helps you avoid viewing potentially offensive material.
- It lets you choose the images that you want to take the time to download if you have a dial-up connection.
- It helps reduce the number of junk e-mail messages that you receive. Images that are contained in junk e-mail messages frequently include Web beacons that notify the sender's Web server when you read or preview a message. The Web beacon validates your e-mail address and frequently causes you to receive more junk e-mail messages and to possibly receive computer viruses.
When you forward a message or when you reply to a message that links to external content, Outlook Express tries to download the content again. The blocked content is included in the message. When you print a message that contains external content that has not been downloaded automatically, the external content is downloaded and appears in the printed message.
Although we do not recommend it, you can configure Outlook Express to automatically download all pictures and external content. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the Security tab.
- Click to clear the Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail check box.
Article ID: 883613 - Last Review: 29 Mar 2017 - Revision: 4