Do you want to: Open a Read Only copy
Create a local copy and merge your changes later
Receive notification when the original copy is available
Service pack informationThis problem is corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the hotfixThis issue is fixed in the Office Hotfix Package that is dated September 17, 2004. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To enable this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Quit Word 2003.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click to select the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options
- After you select the key that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD.
- Type UseTempCopyForNonLocDoc, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click UseTempCopyForNonLocDoc, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
Article ID: 884050 - Last Review: 29 Mar 2017 - Revision: 4