Windows could not start because the following file is missing:
- You installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
- You installed the Windows XP SP1 rollup that is described in the following article:826939 Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP is available
- After the 826939 Update Rollup was installed, you enabled hyper-threading, or you added a second processor to your computer.
- Insert the Windows XP startup disk in the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive, and then restart the computer.
- Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted to do this.
- When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
- If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
- When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the Administrator password is blank, press ENTER.
- At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines. Press ENTER after each line.cd system32
ren ntkrnlpa.exe ntkrnlpa.old
ren ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.old
cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"
expand sp2.cab -F:ntkrpamp.exe c:\windows\system32
expand sp2.cab -F:ntkrnlmp.exe c:\windows\system32
ren ntkrpamp.exe ntkrnlpa.exe
ren ntkrnlmp.exe ntoskrnl.exe
- Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.
Article ID: 887675 - Last Review: 29 Mar 2017 - Revision: 4