In Windows Server 2003, you can use the ManageDisksOnSystemBuses DWORD registry entry to enable the system boot disk, the pagefile disks, and the cluster disks to be on the same bus.
Note After the cluster is installed and configured, an error message that resembles the following may be logged in the %Windir%\Cluster\Cluster.log file:
INFO Physical Disk <Disk Q:>: [DiskArb]- DisksArbitrate -.
INFO Physical Disk <Disk Q:>: [DiskArb] DisksOpenResourceFileHandle: Attaching to disk with signature eb14995a
INFO Physical Disk <Disk Q:>: [DiskArb] DisksOpenResourceFileHandle: Disk unique id present trying new attach
ERR Physical Disk <Disk Q:>: [DiskArb] Signature of disk has changed or failed to find disk with id, old signature 0xeb14995a new signature 0xeb14995a, status 2
ERR Physical Disk <Disk Q:>: SCSI: Attach, error attaching to signature eb14995a, error 2.
ERR Physical Disk <Disk Q:>: Arbitrate: Unable to attach to signature eb14995a. Error: 2.
INFO [MM] MmSetQuorumOwner(0,0), old owner 1.
ERR [FM] FmGetQuorumResource failed, error 2.
ERR [INIT] ClusterForm: Could not get quorum resource. No fixup attempted. Status = 5086
INFO [INIT] Cleaning up failed form attempt.
ERR [INIT] Failed to form cluster, status 5086.
ERR [CS] ClusterInitialize failed 5086
WARN [INIT] The cluster service is shutting down.
INFO [EVT] EvShutdown
WARN [FM] Shutdown: Failover Manager requested to shutdown groups.
INFO [FM] FmpCleanupGroups: Entry
INFO [FM] FmpCleanupGroups: Exit
INFO [Dm] DmShutdown
INFO [DM] DmpShutdownFlusher: Entry
INFO [DM] DmpShutdownFlusher: Setting event
INFO [DM] DmpRegistryFlusher: got 0
INFO [DM] DmpRegistryFlusher: exiting
WARN [MM] MMLeave is called when rgp=NULL.
ERR [CS] Service Stopped. exit code = 5086 Where error 5086 = The quorum disk could not be located by the cluster service.
Note The disk signature that is logged as a problem is not changed. There is no problem with the disk signature.
To resolve this problem, install the updated Microsoft Storport storage driver, version 5.2.3790.217, and then modify the registry to add and to enable the ManageDisksOnSystemBuses registry entry in the ClusSvc registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps.
Note These steps must be performed on each node after the node is added to the cluster.
- Install version 5.2.3790.217 of the Storport storage driver. This driver is described in the following article:883646 The updated Storport storage driver, version 5.2.3790.217, fixes a range of Storport-related problems in Windows Server 2003
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ClusSvc\ParametersNote If you have Service Pack 1 or a later service pack installed, locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Clusdisk\Parameters ManageDisksOnSystemBuses
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type ManageDisksOnSystemBuses for the name of the DWORD, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click ManageDisksOnSystemBuses, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, enter a hexadecimal value of 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- After the first node is running the Cluster service, create new disk resources in Cluster Administrator, and then bring them online.
- After all the disks are online, use the procedure in the following article to move the quorum resource from a local disk to a disk resource that appears in the Cluster Administrator tool:280353 How to change the quorum disk designation
- Add the remaining nodes to the cluster, and then install the updated Storport storage driver. Add and enable the ManageDisksOnSystemBuses registry entry in the ClusSvc registry subkey for each node after it is added.
- Fail over all the resource groups to each cluster node.
Article ID: 888160 - Last Review: 10 Dec 2008 - Revision: 1