Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.
- The user clicks New Item to add a new item to a list and then adds the information for the new item. The information that the user adds is fairly long, such as a survey response.
- The user clicks Save and Close on the List Name: New Item page to submit the information to the server.
To work around this behavior, use one of the following methods:
- Instruct your users to submit information to the server before the security validation time-out expires.
- Increase the security validation time-out value. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click SharePoint Central Administration.
- Under Virtual Server Configuration on the Windows SharePoint Services Central Administration page, click Configure virtual server settings.
- On the Virtual Server List page, click the name of the virtual server that you want to configure.
- Under Virtual Server Management on the Virtual Server Settings page, click Virtual server general settings.
- In the Web Page Security Validationarea of the Virtual Server General Settings page, specify the number of minutes that you want to set for the security validation time-out, and then click OK.
For more information about the Web Page Security Validation feature, see the "About Web page security validation" section in Windows SharePoint Services Help. To locate this section, click Help on any SharePoint site page, and then click Home. When the table of contents is displayed, click the Configuring and Managing Windows SharePoint Services section, and then click the Security section.
Note If you are using Windows SharePoint Services on a server that is running Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003, you must first click Help on any SharePoint site page, and then click Windows SharePoint Services Help Table of Contents. This will display the table of contents for the Windows SharePoint Services Help topics that were mentioned in the previous paragraph.
Article ID: 888828 - Last Review: 29 Mar 2017 - Revision: 4