- If you install the Office 2003 update from the Office Download Center, you receive the following error message: Error 2902. An internal error has occurred.When you click OK, you then receive the following error message:
(ixfAssemblyCopy) Contact your Information Technology department for assistance.The update cannot be applied.
- If you install the Office 2003 update from Office Update Web site, you receive the following error message: Installation unsuccessful.
Error 2902. An internal error has occurred. (ixfAssemblyCopy ) Contact your Information Technology department for assistance.
- You installed the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 after you installed Office.
- Windows Installer 3.0 is installed.
To determine the version of the Windows Installer that is installed on the computer, follow these steps:
Incorrect command line parametersThis issue may occur if Msiexec.exe version 2.00.3790.0 is installed on the computer.
- Click Start, click Run, type %windir% in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Double-click the System32 folder.
- Right-click the Msiexec.exe file, and then click Properties.
- On the Version tab, determine the version of the Windows Installer that you have installed.
Method 1: Install Windows Installer 3.1For more information about how to install Windows Installer 3.1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Method 2: Repair your Office 2003 installationTo repair your Office 2003 installation, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
- Under Currently installed programs, click the version of Microsoft Office 2003 that you are using, and then click Change.
- Under Maintenance Mode Options in the Microsoft Office Setup dialog box, click Reinstall or Repair, and then click Next.
- Under Reinstall or Repair Office, click Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation, click to select the Restore my Start Menu Shortcuts check box, and then click Install.
Method 3: Install the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 before you install OfficeBefore you install Office, install the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.
We recommend that you download the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 from the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
Method 4: Launch the Custom Maintenance WizardThe Custom Maintenance Wizard is available for download from the Office 2003 Resource Kit Web site.
For system administratorsIf you are a system administrator, and you have to update your client computers, use one of the following methods:
- Use the Custom Maintenance Wizard. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:308263 How to create a Custom Maintenance Wizard file for updating installation options after you deploy a custom installation of Office
- Select the MSI file to be modified in step 2 of the wizard.
- In step 3 of the wizard, choose either Create a new CMW file or Open an existing CMW file.
- In step 4 of the wizard, provide a location for the new CMW file to be created.
Note You only need to provide a location if you are creating a new file.
- In step 6, under each installed application that is listed, set the .NET Programmability Support feature to Run from my computer. Several Microsoft Office applications will not have this option, such as Microsoft Office InfoPath and Microsoft Office OneNote.
- Click the Finish button to exit the wizard.
- Use the DisableFlyWeightPatching system policy.
For more information about the DisableFlyWeightPatching system policy, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 895975 - Last Review: 12 Sep 2011 - Revision: 1