Note The VBU.exe tool starts when you upgrade the Visual Basic 6.0 project by using the Visual Basic Upgrade Wizard in the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET IDE.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System. The System Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settingsunder Performance. The Performance Options dialog box appears.
- Click the Data Execution Prevention tab. Verify that the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option is selected
Note By default, the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option is selected in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
- Click Add. Locate and then click to select VBU.exe. Click Open.
- In the warning box, click OK. VBU.exe now appears in the DEP program area.
- Click Apply, and then click
OK. A dialog box appears that states that you must restart the computer for the setting to take effect. Click OK.
Steps to reproduce the behavior
- Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 on a computer that supports the no-execute (NX) page-protection feature. For example, install Windows Server 2003 SP1 on an AMD64-based computer or on an IA-64-based computer.
- Install Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005.
- Make sure that the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option is selected on the Data Execution Prevention tab as described in the "Workaround" section.
- Try to upgrade a Visual Basic 6.0 project by opening the project in Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005.
Article ID: 896292 - Last Review: 29 Mar 2017 - Revision: 4