The issue that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section occurs because the files permissions of the affected system files are limited to the Administrators group or the Power Users group after you install Visual Studio 6.0 SP6.
For example, when Outlook Express starts, the Startup process loads the Atl.dll file. And, when WordPad starts, the Startup process loads the Mfc42u.dll file. However, if you try to start Outlook Express or WordPad under an account that is not a member of the Administrators group or of the Power Users group, the application does not have the Read & Execute permission for the required system file.
- In Microsoft Windows Explorer, locate the affected system file.
- Right-click the file, and then click Properties.
- Click the Security tab, and then click the Users group under Group or user names.
- Under Permissions for Users, click to select the Allow check box for the Read & Execute permission.
- Click Apply, and then click
Article ID: 899147 - Last Review: 29 Mar 2017 - Revision: 3