Windows 10 Mobile has Skype built into it, so you can quickly make free* Skype-to-Skype calls to family, friends, and other people.
As long as you’re signed into Skype, you’re ready to make and receive Skype calls on your Windows 10 Mobile device. For more info about setting up a Skype account in Windows 10 Mobile, see Skype account setup.
* Normal data charges apply when calling over cellular data.
Make a Skype video call
- On Start , swipe over to the All apps list, and then select Skype video.
- Select a contact in your call history or select Phonebook > Skype contact name > Skype video.
Here’s another way to make a Skype video call: On Start , swipe over to the All apps list, and then select People. Type a Skype contact’s name to search for them in your contacts, select their name, and then select Video call with Skype video selected on the right.
Make a Skype audio call
- On Start , select Phone.
- Select History, and then select a Skype call in your call history to call someone on Skype.
Answer a Skype video call
When you get a Skype video call, select Video to answer it. If you only want to have a Skype audio call, select Audio instead.
Can't talk right now? Select Ignore to decline it.
If you’re offline and have turned on voice messaging, the person who called can leave you a message.
Switch from a regular phone call to a Skype video call
In Windows 10 Mobile, you can switch from a regular phone call to a Skype video call with a quick tap or two if the person you're talking to is a Skype contact. This gives you another way to stay in touch with people and see them.
During a phone call, select the Skype video button. (The button will say Skype video if that’s your default video calling app.) Your regular phone call might end when your Skype video call starts.
To set the default app for switching to a video call:
- On Start , swipe over to the All apps list, then select Settings [Settings icon] > System > Phone.
- Under Default apps, select Switch to video calls with, and then select the video calling app you want.
Can I receive and record voice messages?
Yes. Voice messages you receive will appear in your call history and instant messages. Before you can receive voice messages, you’ll first need to turn on Voice Messaging for your Skype account. You can sign in to your account from the browser on your phone or PC.
Article ID: 10752 - Last Review: 31 Aug 2016 - Revision: 14