- Home users:
Skip the details: Download the updates for your home computer or laptop from the Microsoft Update website now:
- IT professionals:
How to obtain help and support for this security updateHelp installing updates:
Support for Microsoft Update
Security solutions for IT professionals:
TechNet Security Troubleshooting and Support
Help protect your Windows-based computer Windows from viruses and malware:
Virus Solution and Security Center
Local support according to your country:
More information about this security updateThe following article contains additional information about this security update as it relates to individual product versions. The article may contain known issue information. If this is the case, the known issue is listed under each article link.
- 2918614 MS14-049: Description of the security update for Windows Installer Service: August 12, 2014Known issues in security update 2918614:
3008627 Unexpected UAC prompt after you install update 2918614 in Windows
- After you install this security update and try to install any MSI package that uses a mandatory or temporary user profile, the MSI package installation fails, and you receive an error message that resembles the following:The profile for the user is a temporary profile
- After you install this security update, you may receive a User Account Control (UAC) prompt when you try to use remote deployments, centralized deployments, or other local methods to reinstall a program that was already installed before the security update was installed.
- After you apply this security update, a minor upgrade will display a UAC prompt.
- After you install this security update and try to install any MSI package that uses a mandatory or temporary user profile, the MSI package installation fails, and you receive an error message that resembles the following:
Article ID: 2962490 - Last Review: 26 Nov 2014 - Revision: 1