- You have a server that is running a Server Core installation of Windows Server 2012.
Note This problem occurs on the release version of the product.
- You delete one of the following registry keys on all other product versions and editions:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER(root of the user profile)
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Because the implementation does not merge duplicate access control entries, the number of access control entries increases until the 64 kilobyte (KB)-limit on the size of the security descriptor is reached. When this limit is reached, the profile service uses a code path in which it encounters an access violation.
- Check the registry of the user to see whether the indicator registry keys that are listed in the Symptoms section are missing or whether the required entry for the "All application packages" group is missing.
- If you detect a problem while you are performing the first step, create the missing registry key, and then make sure that the user has full access to it.
For more information about this problem, go to the following Microsoft websites:
- 2798317 Win8: App: Modern: Apps fail to start if default registry or file permissions modified
- Sid definition
- Sid constants
Article ID: 2981679 - Last Review: 12 Aug 2014 - Revision: 1