When using an app or feature that requires Microsoft account authentication, you may see some of the following errors such as:
- "We can't connect right now. Please wait a few moments and try again."
- "Can't connect. We're having a problem signing in. Make sure you have good reception. If you do, the problem may be on the other end. Wait a little while and try again."
- The Windows Store will present the following message when attempting to download, purchase, or update apps: "Microsoft account service is unavailable at the moment try again later"
- Transfer any files (such as photos, videos, and downloaded music) you would like to keep to an alternate location. To do this, connect the device to a PC and use File Explorer to manually move the files from the phone to the PC. Instructions for using File Explorer to transfer files can be found here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/How-to/wp8/apps/sync-documents-using-my-computer
- Use the WDRT to re-flash your device with a replacement ROM image. You can find instructions and the download location for the Windows Device Recovery Tool here.
- When the recovery tool is completed, your device will be re-flashed to the original factory state with an updated OS image. You’ll then go through the setup process.
- If your device was set to back up to the cloud, you can sign in with the same Microsoft account you originally used, and you will see a “Restore” option during setup. This will restore many files and settings and help you download your previously acquired applications.
- Once setup is complete, you can transfer any files you copied to your PC back to the device. To do this, connect the device to a PC and use File Explorer to manually move the files from the PC to the phone. Instructions for using File Explorer to transfer files can be found here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/How-to/wp8/apps/sync-documents-using-my-computer
If you are having issues downloading, installing or running the Windows Device Recovery tool, contact Microsoft Mobile support using the following path:
- Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/support/contact/
- Scroll down the page to Contact Us and select Live chat.
- When you are connected to the agent, let them know you have an AT&T HTC 8X that you are trying to flash, and what issue you are having with the tool.
Article ID: 3106218 - Last Review: 19 Oct 2015 - Revision: 1