- eDiscovery: Search a mailbox for specific data, and export the data locally
- Remote PST: Export mailbox data to a PST file on an on-premises server
Permissions requiredLegacy Dedicated
Refer to the applicable self-service guide at Office 365 Dedicated Release Collateral.
To complete this task, provide the required role group, as appropriate:
- eDiscovery: The Discovery Management role group is required.
- Remote PST: The Compliance Management role group is required.
Process stepsLegacy Dedicated and vNext
The process steps are the same for both legacy Dedicated and vNext customers, as follows:
- eDiscovery: To perform an eDiscovery search and then export the results, see In-place eDiscovery.
- Remote PST: To perform the PST capture through a remote Windows PowerShell session, see Remote PST export.
Note You're prompted for additional credentials to store the file on-premises.
- You can't start the eDiscovery PST Export tool from the Exchange admin center in Exchange Online
- eDiscovery PST Export Tool sticks in "calculating" state when a user runs a PST export in Office 365 Dedicated/ITAR
Article ID: 3140303 - Last Review: 14 Apr 2016 - Revision: 1