IMPORTANT Starting in July 2020, we will resume non-security releases for Windows 10 and Windows Server, version 1809 and later. There is no change to the cumulative monthly security updates (also referred to as the "B" release or Update Tuesday release). For more information, see the blog post Resuming optional Windows 10 and Windows Server non-security monthly updates.
IMPORTANT Starting in July 2020, all Windows Updates will disable the RemoteFX vGPU feature because of a security vulnerability. For more information about the vulnerability, see CVE-2020-1036 and KB4570006. After you install this update, attempts to start virtual machines (VM) that have RemoteFX vGPU enabled will fail, and messages such as the following will appear:
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because all the RemoteFX-capable GPUs are disabled in Hyper-V Manager.”
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because the server has insufficient GPU resources.”
If you re-enable RemoteFX vGPU, a message similar to the following will appear:
- "We no longer support the RemoteFX 3D video adapter. If you are still using this adapter, you may become vulnerable to security risk. Learn more (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2131976)”
IMPORTANT We have been evaluating the public health situation and understand the impact this is having on many of our customers. To help ease some of the burdens customers are facing, we are going to delay the scheduled end of service date for the Home, Pro, Pro Education, Pro for Workstations, and IoT Core editions of Windows 10, version 1809 to November 10, 2020. This means devices will receive monthly security updates only from May to November. The final security update for these editions of Windows 10, version 1809 will be released on November 10, 2020 instead of May 12, 2020.
Note This release also contains updates for Microsoft HoloLens (OS Build 17763.1339) released July 14, 2020. Microsoft will release an update directly to the Windows Update Client to improve Windows Update reliability on Microsoft HoloLens that have not updated to this most recent OS Build.
- Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge Legacy.
- Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
- Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.
- Updates to improve security when using input devices (such as a mouse, keyboard, or stylus).
- Improves security in the Microsoft Store.
- Updates an issue that might prevent some applications from printing documents that contain graphics or large files.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Addresses an issue with loading Browser Helper Objects in Microsoft Edge IE mode.
- Addresses an issue that might cause lsass.exe to fail with the error message, “A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code c0000008. The machine must now be restarted."
- Addresses an issue that might prevent some applications from printing documents that contain graphics or large files after installing Windows Updates released June 9, 2020.
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Apps, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Shell, the Microsoft Store, Microsoft Edge Legacy, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Kernel, Windows Update Stack, Windows MSXML, Windows File Server and Clustering, Windows Remote Desktop, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Windows Update Improvements
Microsoft has released an update directly to the Windows Update client to improve reliability. Any device running Windows 10 configured to receive updates automatically from Windows Update, including Enterprise and Pro editions, will be offered the latest Windows 10 feature update based on device compatibility and Windows Update for Business deferral policy. This doesn't apply to long-term servicing editions.
Known issues in this update
|After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive the error, "0x800f0982 - PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND."|| |
Note If reinstalling the language pack does not mitigate the issue, reset your PC as follows:
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
|After installing KB4550969 or later, when using Microsoft Edge Legacy, you might receive the error,”0x80704006. Hmmmm…can’t reach this page” when attempting to reach websites on non-standard ports. Any website that uses a port listed in the Fetch Standard specification under bad ports or port blocking might cause this issue.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4577069.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the LCU and applying Microsoft security fixes. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||Yes||None. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows 10Classification: Security Updates
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4558998.
Note Some files erroneously have “Not applicable” in the “File version” column of the CSV file. This might lead to false positives or false negatives when using some third-party scan detection tools to validate the build.