IMPORTANT Windows Server 2012 has reached the end of mainstream support and is now in extended support. Starting in July 2020, there will no longer be optional releases (known as "C" or "D" releases) for this operating system. Operating systems in extended support have only cumulative monthly security updates (known as the "B" or Update Tuesday release).
IMPORTANT Starting in July 2020, all Windows Updates will disable the RemoteFX vGPU feature because of a security vulnerability. For more information about the vulnerability, see CVE-2020-1036 and KB4570006. After you install this update, attempts to start virtual machines (VM) that have RemoteFX vGPU enabled will fail, and messages such as the following will appear:
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because all the RemoteFX-capable GPUs are disabled in Hyper-V Manager.”
- “The virtual machine cannot be started because the server has insufficient GPU resources.”
If you re-enable RemoteFX vGPU, a message similar to the following will appear:
- "We no longer support the RemoteFX 3D video adapter. If you are still using this adapter, you may become vulnerable to security risk. Learn more (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2131976)”
As of February 11, 2020, Internet Explorer 10 is no longer in support. To get Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 Embedded Standard, see KB4492872. Install one of the following applicable updates to stay updated with the latest security fixes:
Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012.
Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8 Embedded Standard.
The September 8, 2020 Monthly Rollup.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4571736 (released August 11, 2020) and addresses the following issues:
- Updates time zone information for Yukon, Canada.
- Addresses a security vulnerability issue with user proxies and HTTP-based intranet servers. After you install this update, HTTP-based intranet servers cannot leverage a user proxy to detect updates by default. Scans that use these servers will fail if the clients do not have a configured system proxy. If you must leverage a user proxy, you must configure the behavior by using the Windows Update policy “Allow user proxy to be used as a fallback if detection using system proxy fails.” This change does not affect customers who secure their Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) servers that use the Transport Layer Security (TLS) or Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocols. For more information, see Improving security for devices receiving updates via WSUS.
- Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Graphics, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Kernel, Windows Hybrid Cloud Networking, Windows Peripherals, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Update Stack, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, and Windows SQL components.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
|Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.|| |
Do one of the following:
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
We strongly recommend that you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest Rollup. SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||Yes||None. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows Server 2012, Windows Embedded 8 StandardClassification: Security Updates
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4577038.