If you purchased a product from Microsoft or Microsoft Store, you can request a return. You'll then find out if your product is eligible for a return. If you purchased a product from another organization, contact that organization to request returns or refunds. You can check your Order history to verify what you've ordered from Microsoft.
If you want to cancel a Microsoft subscription or free trial subscription, including Xbox Live and Microsoft 365, see Cancel or turn off recurring billing on a Microsoft subscription. If you see a charge after turning off recurring billing, you may have turned it off after the expiration date. Subscription recurrence dates and billing dates are different (learn more).
Returns and exchanges
You can manage returns, exchanges, and more on the Order history page.
To request a return or exchange:
- Sign in to Order history, and then select Request a return. If you don’t see Request a return, your item may not be eligible for a return. For detailed info about the return and refund policy, see Microsoft Terms of Sale.
Items that may be eligible for return, refund, or exchange include physical goods like a Surface, Xbox controller, virtual reality headset, or packaged software. Digital gift cards and service/subscription cards may also be eligible for return (see Microsoft gift card terms and conditions). Digital goods like apps, games, add-on content, subscriptions, movies, TV shows, and books aren't returnable unless the offer or applicable law states that you're eligible for a refund.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to get a prepaid shipping label for the return. If you can't get a prepaid shipping label for the return, contact support.
When we receive your item and find it eligible for a return, we’ll either ship you a replacement or issue you a refund.
When you make a qualifying return, we'll credit the full amount, less the original shipping and handling charges. Refunds are generally processed within 3–5 business days after we receive your item and find it eligible for a return. Refunds are applied to the original payment option.
Unexpected or inaccurate charges
To address unexpected charges, first see What to do about unexpected charges from Microsoft. If you don't see the cause for your unexpected charge, you can select the Contact us link at the top of the page, or you can contact Microsoft Store support.
See the resources below for more help with Microsoft products and services.
- Get info about how to prevent unauthorized purchases from Microsoft Store.
- Learn how to cancel an order or pre-order from Microsoft Store.
- See more topics related to Microsoft subscriptions at My subscriptions.
- Visit Microsoft Support for help with products such as Windows 10, Xbox, Office, and more.