When you access the Browse list for printer shares from Print Manager, hidden printer shares are also listed.
This behavior occurs only with printer shares, and if you use the Net View command on a server, the hidden printer shares are not listed.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Create a printer share with "$" at the end of share name. For example:
- From another Windows NT machine, open Print Manager.
- From the Printer menu, choose Connect To Printer.
- From the Browse list, select your Domain.
- Double-click the machine with the hidden shares.
However, you can hide the whole NT Server from the browse list by using: Net Config Server /Hidden: Yes
Article ID: 110062 - Last Review: Oct 31, 2006 - Revision: 1