If you're worried that someone gained unauthorized access to your account, see Recover your Microsoft account and Microsoft account security info & verification codes.
If you're having trouble signing in to your Microsoft account, we want to help you get back into your account as quickly as possible. Here are some basic troubleshooting steps you can try first:
- Verify that Caps Lock is turned off and your email address is spelled correctly.
- Clear your browser history (here's how for Microsoft Edge and for Internet Explorer).
- Try signing in to your account from a different internet browser.
Reset your Microsoft account password
If you can't remember your password or it's not working, reset it.
- Go to the Recover your account page.
- Enter the email address, phone number, or Skype ID you used when you made your Microsoft account. This could be any email address, or an email ending in a Microsoft domain like hotmail.com or outlook.com.
- If you have security info on your account, we'll send a one-time code to the alternate phone number or email address you gave us. After you enter that code on the next screen, you'll be able to make a new password.
- Enter your new password, then select Next.
If you reset your password and still have trouble signing in, you may have changed settings in your account.
Want to sign in securely without a password next time? Use phone sign-in and the Authenticator app.
If you still can't get back in to your account, expand a section below for help.