- Place your insertion point where you want the caption numbering to appear for the first caption.
- On the Insert menu, click Caption. Click OK.
A caption is inserted into the document (for example, Figure 1).
- Repeat this process as many times as necessary for your captions.
- Place the insertion point at the location in the document where you want caption numbering to be restarted.
- Select the number in the caption. On the Insert menu, choose Field.
- In the Field Names column, select "Seq."
- In the Field Codes box, after "SEQ," type Figure.
- Click the Options button. Choose the Field Specific Switches tab. Select the \r switch, and click Add To Field. Type the number desired to restart the caption numbering after the \r. Click OK, and then click OK again.
- On the File menu, click Print Preview. Then, choose Close from the Print Preview screen.
The sequence field has an optional restart switch that can be added to the field to restart the sequence numbering at a specific number. This switch is not added to the field by default and is not an option when using the Caption feature from the Insert menu.
By using the sequence field procedure above, the option for the \r switch is added to the sequence field. The resulting field code for the caption numbering is as follows
NOTE: This field can be viewed by selecting the caption and using the keys SHIFT+F9.
For additional information using chapter numbering with captions, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Article ID: 145508 - Last Review: Aug 17, 2005 - Revision: 1