- Double-clicking one of the installed available print monitors (for example, Digital Network Port, Hewlett-Packard Network Port, Local Port, or LPR Port) does nothing; the dialog box titled Print Destinations simply reappears.
- When trying to add a port, such as an LPR Port, you may receive a Dr. Watson access violation or application error message in Spoolss.exe. This may be followed by:
Specified port cannot be added. The remote procedure call failed.
Specified port cannot be added. The printer already exists.
- In Control Panel, double-click the Services icon.
- Click Spooler service and click the Startup button.
- Verify that the service is configured to log on using the System account, and that it is allowed to interact with the desktop.
For more information on deleting network printer ports, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
125953 How to Delete a Network Printer Port
Article ID: 153477 - Last Review: Feb 20, 2007 - Revision: 1