- The system may stop responding (hang).
- The video may flash.
- Distortion is observed in the video playback area.
- The video may just show a blank window, a white window, or a black
window, even though the sound plays correctly.
- Some systems may experience hesitation problems with the video, where
it continually starts and stops instead of playing smoothly.
- Videos only play in the large or expanded mode. The normal mode
videos do not play.
properly on your system.
restarting Windows and then try to play videos. If it still fails,
follow these steps to verify that Windows Video Compression is
Removing and Reinstalling Video Compression
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click the Windows Setup tab.
- In the Components area, scroll to and click Multimedia.
- Click Details.
- If the Video Compression option is selected, it may not be installed
properly, and needs to be removed. Follow these steps:
- Clear the check box for this option, and then click OK.
- Click OK again to complete the removal.
- Repeat steps 2-5 to return to the Video Compression option in
- Make sure the Video Compression box contains a check mark.
- Click OK, then click OK again. Follow the on-screen instructions.