- The computer account has been removed.
- The computer name has been changed.
- The computer account password has changed because another Windows NT system with the same computername has joined the domain.
- The domain is not synchronized.
You should also verify that domain synchronization is successful. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
TITLE : Verifying Domain Netlogon Synchronization
If you cannot log on to the domain, you can log on to the local computer by selecting the local computer name in the From field and specifying a local user name and password. To do this, perform the following steps:
- From Server Manager, select the computer name from the list of computers in the domain.
- From the Computer menu, select Remove from Domain and click Yes when prompted to confirm the removal.
- From the Computer menu, select Add to Domain.
- Select Windows NT Workstation or Server, type the appropriate computer name, and then click the Add button.
- Click the Close button.
- Select the primary domain controller (PDC) from the list of computers in the domain.
- From the Computer menu, select Synchronize the Entire Domain.
- Click Yes twice.
- Click the OK button.
- From the Windows NT Workstation or Server computer, double-click the Control Panel Network icon.
- Click Change.
- Select Workgroup, and then click OK.
- Click Yes, then click OK twice.
- Click Restart Now.
- After the computer has restarted, log on as an administrator of the local computer, by selecting the computer name in the From Field.
- From the Control Panel Network tool, click Change next to the Workgroup name.
- Select Domain and type the appropriate domain name.
- Click OK, then click Yes.
- Click OK twice.
- Click Restart Now.
The above instructions do not apply to Backup Domain Controllers (BDC). For related information on BDCs, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
TITLE : How to Re-Sync PDC/BDC Trust After Event IDs 3210 and 7023
Article ID: 160324 - Last Review: Feb 22, 2007 - Revision: 1